Ceramic braces are created by mixing a couple of inorganic materials together to create a new material. This permanent type of braces is applied by affixing them to each individual tooth. An arch wire then spans the length of the upper and lower set of teeth. The wire is then tied to the ceramic braces by rubber bands which are also called ligatures. Ceramic braces are one of the most widely used braces type.
Traditional metal braces are increasingly being replaced by ceramic braces. They function the same as metal braces but offer a less conspicuous look since the ceramic material is created in a variety of colors to better match your tooth color. They are also quite tough, as the ceramic has the strength of concrete.
Advantages of Ceramic Braces
• The ceramic material comes in many shades and thus blends in nicely with your teeth.
• Ceramic braces are permanently attached and offer a more comfortable experience
• The material is strong and breaking one is very unlikely
• The rubber bands can be exchanged with ease
• Ceramic braces can fit on a high percentage of patients